Popular Posts

Saturday, March 3, 2012

DIY: Crayon Art Tutorial

Well, this crayon art thing has been floating around Pinterest for a while now, and when I needed a baby shower gift, I thought this would be perfect! I can customize it for the kid and the crayons would look great in a nursery. The art was made for a little baby boy named Zaryk who with grace us with his presence any day now, but the shower wasn't until today. So wanted to wait to post this so I didn't spoil anything! Here's the final product!


Isn't it so cute?! I chose the colors black, gray, greens, and blues. I also decided to make a Z on it so that it was more personal and had a little design on it. 

Here's what you need:

A Canvas
Crayons
Hot Glue Gun
Blow Dryer 
Possibly Ribbon
Possibly Painter's Tape

So because I used a canvas that was flat instead of a gallery wrap so I had to create a way to hang the canvas. I could have framed it but I thought that this would be cute. Anyways, that why I said "possibly" ribbon. So first thing I did was hot glue that to the back of the canvas.


After that, collect all the crayons you want to use and arrange them how you want. You can keep the wrappers on or take them off. I took them off because I used an assortment of old crayons that were not all the same brand. 


Once you have them all arranged, start hot gluing them down. I would suggest putting the glue on the canvas instead of the crayon.

  


If you want to make a design to show through the crayons, now's a good time to use the painter's tape and tape that on. I would lay down some newspapers before you melt, and to get more of a dripping and runny effect you will want to prop the canvas up against something. I used a shoe box. Then you start melting with the blow dryer.....



Until you get it to look how you want! I would have stopped sooner but I needed it to cover the entire Z so it was clearly outlined. 

  

Remove the tape an voila! 


I really like how this came out!

  

I hope you enjoyed this! Have a wonderful week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment